Shergarh is located on the edge of Kanha Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh, which lies right in the centre of India.
It is an area of outstanding beauty: a series of plateus in the Maikal Hills (the eastern stretch of the Satpura range), densely forested with sal and bamboo and scattered with charming villages. All journeys into Kanha wind through through this gentle terrain.
Zoom below to locate Kanha in India and Madhya Pradesh.
The entire green patch where the pin is dropped is the 20 acres of woodland that we have regenerated. Within the forest towards the North-East, you can see the Banjaar river snaking its way through - that's where our forest walk takes place. The river also forms the natural boundary between the core area of Kanha - where the jeep safaris take place, and the buffer area - where the villages and lodges are based.
ACCESS BY AIR
Kanha lies within similar proximity to 3 airports. Choice of airport depends on the flight timings that most suit your specific itinerary.
- RAIPUR AIRPORT (200km/ 4 hours) is connected with daily flights between DELHI, MUMBAI, KOLKATA and HYDERABAD.
- NAGPUR AIRPORT (260km/ 5.5 hours) is connected with regular daily flights between most major hubs including DELHI, MUMBAI, PUNE, KOLKATA and BANGALORE, and also with QATAR.
- JABALPUR AIRPORT (180km/ 4.5 hours) is connected with DELHI only.
There are a number of online agencies where you can easily book flights, e.g. Yatra and Cleartrip.
We can arrange a car to collect you/ drop you to any of these airports.
ACCESS BY RAIL
Depending on which direction you are travelling from/to, there are 3 train stations to choose from:
- GONDIA JUNCTION (120km, 2.5 hours) - if you are travelling from a westernly or southernly direction (e.g. Mumbai, Pune).
- JABALPUR (180km/ 4.5 hours) - if you are travelling from the North (e.g. Delhi, Agra).
- RAIPUR (200km/ 4 hours) - if you are travelling from an easterly direction (e.g. Kolkata, Orissa).
There are a number of online agencies where you can easily book trains, e.g. Yatra and Cleartrip.
We can arrange a car to collect you/ drop you to any of these stations.
ACCESS BY ROAD
Some destinations are accessible by road only. Distances are as follows:
- BHOROMDEO/ KAWARDA in Chhattisgarh (110km/ 2.5 hours)
- PENCH TIGER RESERVE (180km/ 4 hours)
- BANDAVGARH TIGER RESERVE (220km/ 6.5 hours)
- SATPURA TIGER RESERVE (350km/ 8.5 hours)
- PANNA TIGER RESERVE/KHAJURAHO (400km/ 9 hours)
- TADOBA TIGER RESERVE (260km/ 7 hours)
We can arrange a car to collect you/ drop you to any of these destinations.
If you are driving yourself, you'll need to take one of the following routes:
- Coming via Nagpur, take the route BANDAR - GONDIA - BALAGHAT - BAIHAR - BAHMNI (Mukki)
- Coming via Jabalpur, take the route MANDLA - BAMHANI - TATRI - BAIHAR - BAHMNI (Mukki)
- Coming via Raipur, take the route DHAMDHA - GANDAI - MALAJKHAND - GUDMA - BAHMNI (Mukki)
We are located approx 4 km from the Mukki Gate, on the main Baihar-Mukki road. Coming from Baihar or Gudma, we are on the left-hand side, approx 300 metres from the 'Bahmni Phatar' crossroads. Look out for a discreet wooden board and gatehouse.